Frequently asked questions
learn everything about biological products
Α. WHAT ORGANIC PRODUCTS ARE
Organic products are the result of cultivating land without chemical fertilizers, pesticides and toxic pesticides. Control of plant diseases and soil fertilisation is done with natural methods and organic supplies. Oganic products' cultivation is based on traditional farmer's knowledge and on science's chase for healthy solutions. Reliability of organic products is based on strict control and certification, according to EU legislation 2092/91 and 1804/99, which each organic farmer is obliged to apply. According to this situation, each farmer is controlled at all stages of production until its disposal. Agronomists control the farms, while specialised analysis during cultivation, harvest and standardisation certify that all required regulation is adhered. In order to characterised a product as organic, it must be the result of organic cultivation for minimum three years and have the appropriate marks on its packaging, namely, the organization's name and the certification's code. Certainly, use of genetically modified materials is banned in organic farming.
Β. ORGANIC PRODUCTS AND HEALTH
The initial results of the largest study that has been conducted to date confirm that organic products are more nutritious and constitute a shield for our health. The study lasted for four years, 33 European Universities took part and was funded by EU. It found that organic products contain large amounts of vitamin C and trace elements of iron, copper and zinc. Also contain metabolites which prevent cancer and heart diseases. The differences are so evident that organic products can help the increase of nutrient, even at persons that don't eat five portions of fruit and vegetables per day, as recommended.
According to this study above, organic fruit and vegetables contain 40% more antioxidants and as a result, protect our body from severe illnesses. Also the levels of minerals are higher.
It is remarkable that toxic substances which is contained in conventional foods, come to our body by foods.
Organic products do not contain preservatives, flavorings, artificial of colors and flavors. The natural productive way contributes to a better flavor and taste from conventional foods.
Organic products are very important for vulnerable groups of the population.
Children and aged people: Provide the necessary elements for living and development. Don't contain toxic and mutagens.
Women in pregnancy: Baby and woman are in a closed circuit and exchange all the essential elements for the fetus' life, through placenta.
It has already proved that woman's nutrition with foods full of chemicals (herbicides, insecticides, fungicides) may be harmful to child in the future.
C. TEN REASONS TO CHOOSE ORGANIC PRODUCTS
1. Are pure nourishment, with no pesticides residues.
2. Have high nutritional value, the real value which have the Mediterranean products.
3. Have real and full taste, as the organic products are harvested when they are mature, so have all the tasty values.
4. Bearing authenticity guarantee improved facilities inspected and certified by approved bodies, who give their stamp only at authentic organic products.
5. Are always fresh, as they are harvested and sold on time and there aren't conservatives in their retention.
As a consumer contribute…
6. Organic products contain 40% more antioxidants and as a result, protect our body from severe illnesses.
7. Soils always remain fertile, as are fertilized with natural methods of recycling substances and remain alive and fertile.
8. Maintaining the harmony with nature. Respect to plant's and animal's needs and no intensification of production with fertilizers and hormones.
9. In environment's protection, as you support the production without pesticides and fertilizers that pollute water, soils and the beneficial insects and birds.
10. In Rural development. Organic farming opens up new prospects of employment for farmers, as food deadlock abounds.
D. HOW ARE RECOGNIZED
Organic products can be recognized by their marks bearing in their label and the Product Certification that accompany.
When purchasing packaged products, particular attention should be paid to the packaging. Should be intact (not damaged). In product's label should appear the above evidence, at least:
The brand name of the product and its certification stage (organic stage or transition point).
The trade name, contact info and the certification's code of the firm that produced, standardized or/and allocated the product.
The European Code and the Organization's logo that checked and certified the firm, in order to be able to point out and allocate the product, regarding the organic production method (The European Code of BIO Hellas is EL-03-BIO).
The origin of product.
Ε. WHY EXIST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ORGANIC AND CONVENTIONAL PRODUCTS
- The production's cost is higher (organic fertilizers, mechanical way weed control).
- The cultivation's yield is reduced because of its extensive nature.
- The supply is limited and does not cover adequately the increasing demand to certain categories of products (ex. fresh vegetables).
- The burden of cost control and products' certification exist.
However, if take account of
- That conventional products contain in total more water in comparison with organic.
- The rehabilitation cost (which is paid through the taxation) of natural environment from the reckless use of agrochemicals in conventional agriculture.
- The cost against health problems which come from the above use.
- In this case, the cost difference not only is eliminated but also is overgrown.
F. ARE SURELY ORGANIC
In order to characterized a product as organic, it must be the result of organic cultivation for three years at least and have the appropriate marks on its packaging, namely, the organization's name and the certification's code. Certainly, use of genetically modified materials is banned in organic farming.
G. WHY THE EXTERNAL APPEARANCE OF ORGANIC FRUIT AND VEGETABLES ARE NOT SO GOOD RELATED TO CONVENTIONAL
The varieties that Organic Farming prefers are homegrown with little or no extraneous improvement. These reasons make organic products to be non-attractive in comparison with conventional products, however are more delicious and healthier.
H. WHY ORGANIC PRODUCTS OF BIOKARPOS
BIOKARPOS is one of the largest companies in the field of organic fruit and vegetables with certifications set by strict Quality Assurance Systems.
Having long experience in cultivation and packaging of fresh products, BIOKARPOS does business both in Greece and abroad. Discover it!